Green Roofs: Pregrown Advantage
Why is it better to pregrow a green roof rather than plant in place?
There are multiple problems with the plant in place process.
- Labor intensive; hundreds to thousands of plugs have to be brought to the roof and planted manually
- Plant viability: young, tender plants are being exposed to harsh environment of the roof topwhile they establish
- Weeding labor: plant-in-place green roof projects require frequent weeding while roof establishes
- Extra labor for waste removal; pots and trays for plant plugs need to be removed from rooftop after planting
- Pregrown roof module plants are more mature and require less fertilization once on the rooftop
- Installation is faster; project looks mature and complete on day of install
- Plants are well rooted into root stabilization layer; no chance of pulling up and flying off of roof
- Soil is anchored in by plants, no chance for soil media to erode or fly off the roof.